In Malaysia, professional social work was introduced by the British Colonial Administration as early as the 1930s but it was mainly focused on problems of migrant labourers from India and China. It was only after World War II, when social problems of displacement, juvenile delinquency and poverty became more prominent, that a Department of Social Welfare was formerly established in 1946. Social work services were introduced in terms of financial aid for the needy, probation programs for juvenile delinquents, protection homes for women and girls, and residential care for the disabled and the aged.
The first specialisation in social work began in the early 1950s with British expatriates posted to local government hospitals as ‘Almoners’ until local trained social workers replaced them following the end of British administration. A second specialisation was in probation work with juvenile delinquents, where welfare officers were sent overseas for special training.
The British Almoners had formed the first professional body for social workers, the Malayan Association of Almoners (MAA) in 1955. In the late 1960s it was re-named the Malaysian Association of Medical Social Workers (MAMSW) which successfully fought for a professional scheme of service within the civil service. In the early 1970s, medical social workers thought it was necessary to establish a national body to include their peers from social welfare,prisons and social work education programmes.The Malaysian Association of Social Workers (MASW)was thus formed on the 3rd of March 1973, and registered with the Registrar of Societies on the 28th March 1974 (ROS 1387 Selangor), while the MAMSW was dissolved on the 16th of May 1975.
MASW is registered as an affiliate member of the International Federation of Social Workers (IFSW) since July 1974, and with the Malaysian Professional Centre (BIM) since July 1975. It ia also an Associate Member of the Commonwealth Organisation of Social Workers since 1993, and has a representative on the IFSW- Asia Pacific Executive Committee as Publications Secretary. Its members are also actively involved with the Asia Pacific Association of Social Work Educators and the International Association of Schools of Social Work.
1. MASW-JKM-ISM -- International Social Work Symposium 2019
2. ADVANCED NOTICE and TENTATIVE PROGRAMME
- Muslim Missionary Society Singapore,Jamiyah Singapore : Senior Social Worker READ MORE
- Muslim Missionary Society Singapore,Jamiyah Singapore : Social Worker READ MORE
- Casa Raudha: Requires Assistant Manager READ MORE
- Jawatan Pekerja_Pembangunan_Komuniti PELAKSANAAN PROGRAM PEMBANGUNAN KOMUNITI DI PROJEK PERUMAHAN RAKYAT .... READ MORE
- Patient Manager Health Equity Initiatives (HEI) is a Malaysian based organization .... READ MORE
- Kembara Julai 2018 Persatuan Pekerja Sosial Malaysia telah mempromosikan profesion Kerja Sosial
.... READ MORE
- April Newsletter 2018 Dea honorable members of MASW .... READ MORE
Kompeten & Professionalisme Gaya Kerja Kami ....READ MORE
Profile Our History....READ MORE
Social Work with Refugees Seminar
UNHCR & MASW with the support of the Bar Council’s Migrants, Refugees, and Immigration Affairs
Monday 13 th November 2017.... READ MORE....
Diploma in Social Work
We wish to happily announce that MQA has approved the application for Methodist College Kuala Lumpur to run the Diploma in Social Work course at its meeting on 24th May 2016. "Diploma in Social Work - (MQA/PA 8500)
Lulus Akreditasi Sementara" .... READ MORE....